[Cmake] Automated library dependencies

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Tue Jan 21 09:40:54 EST 2003

We just stumbled across an issue that I think is related to the automated library dependency checks.

It looks as though when library A links against library B, that CMake also links library A against
everything that library B linked against.  This saves the library writer from tracking down and
maintaining all the library dependencies.

What does not seem to be happening automatically is the propagation of the LINK_DIRECTORIES that were
used to build library B into the LINK_DIRECTORIES that are needed for library A.  So if library B
uses an external package, library A will also link to that external package but it won't know where
to find that external package.  (I assume this is only a problem when library A is not in a
subdirectory of library B).

Should the LINK_DIRECTORIES also be propagated from library B to library A.  It is basically the same
argument for why the link libraries are propagated from library B to library A.

Jim Miller
Visualization & Computer Vision
GE Research
Bldg. KW, Room C218B
P.O. Box 8, Schenectady NY 12301

millerjv at research.ge.com <mailto:millerjv at research.ge.com>

james.miller at research.ge.com
(518) 387-4005, Dial Comm: 8*833-4005,
Cell: (518) 505-7065, Fax: (518) 387-6981