[Cmake] Multiplatform build in a shared source code tree ???

Pampel, Holger (Holger) hpampel at lucent.com
Wed Feb 5 08:21:16 EST 2003

CMakers,

I was recently pointed to CMake as I write multi-platform software
(currently for W2k/MSVC, Linux/GNU, Solaris/GNU).
I'm surprised by the simplicity of the required input files.
It runs on all platforms without bigger problems.
But now I'm stuck:

Until now I build with own make rules and separate MSVC projects
on a shared network drive for all 3 platforms storing object files, generated
libs and binaries in subdirectories identified by an archituree dependent
extension: lib.$ARCH, bin/$ARCH, obj.${ARCH}<version_postfix>
with ARCH=i686 for Linux, ARCH=sun4 for Solaris and ARCH=MSVC for MSVC.
Debug and release versions I distinguish by adding pre- or postfixes to
the generated libs and binaries (currently only "d" for debug version).

CMake seems not to allow to share the built tree for multiple platforms
as objects are stored directly in the source directories or (for MSVC in
a common top level dir). Has anyone out there a practical solution for
my problem or do I really have to create separate build trees for each
platform ? The 18-page manual does not explain, how to go ahead with this ...
--
Thanks