[Cmake] xcode ?

Chris Scharver scharver at evl . uic . edu
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 17:03:20 -0600

On Dec 18, 2003, at 4:51 PM, Yarden Livnat wrote:

> I'm using cmake for a project which we run under M$, linux and OSX.
> On OSX I would like to use XCode for development and I was wondering
> if there is a way to sync between XCode project and CMAKE files ?

The .pbxproj project file format hasn't been documented by Apple. It
looks like it's doing some tricky file reference stuff, so adding CMake
support for XCode doesn't look easy. There are mysterious hex strings,
value types, and other things that make it impractical to create the
files from outside XCode.

I use Makefiles on MacOS X, and I haven't had any trouble. It gets
tricky if you want to build a bundled MacOS X application or framework,
as you then have to add some extra steps. The other thing that you
could do is create a project that will use CMake-generated Makefiles.
The approach you take will depend on just how complicated your build
steps are and exactly which features of XCode you want to use.
ZeroLink? GUI debugger?

If you're registered as an Apple Developer (anyone programming on MacOS
X should, it's free and opens up some great channels), I recommend
filing an enhancement request to have the project file format
documented.

Chris

--
Chris Scharver