[Cmake] Upper case for package names

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Apr 25 09:28:18 EDT 2003

> is there a reason why a FIND_PACKAGE translates the package names to
> upper case when constructing the _DIR and _FOUND cache entries?

It was written that way because the convention has always been to use
upper-case names for cache entries seen by the user.  This decision should
probably be made by the cmake listfile author, though, so this may be
removed in the next version of CMake.

> As I want to generate the *_DIR entries automatically in my
> CMakeLists.txt, is there a command/function that I can use to do the
> same thing in a CMake script?

There is no easy way right now to upper-case a string from cmake listfile
code, but this has been added to the list of features for the next
version.  If you are willing to invest the time, it is possible to write a
dynamically loaded command in C code that does anything you want.

What are you trying to accomplish by automatically generating *_DIR
entries?  Do you mean you are trying to set their values automatically, or
just make the entries available?

-Brad