[Cmake] Troubles figure out how to include .RES files for .NET

Robert Mathews rmathews at envoyww.com
Thu Apr 24 21:45:11 EDT 2003

I'm trying to convince CMake to perform what should be a simple task - to call the resource compiler on a .rc file to generate a .res file that the linker can link into the target program.

Yet, I can't convince CMake to generate a .vcproj file that represents this.  In particular, I find myself arguing with CMake over whether a .rc file is really source or not (There seems to be a hardcoded list of what is a source file or not, ie ".cxx,.c,.cpp,...in". The SOURCE_GROUP command may be intended to override this, but it has only 4 lines (46 words) of documentation!, so I can't really tell).

Actually, my task is slightly more complex, not that it matters since I can't get CMake to represent the first step. I'm actually using the message compiler to generate the .rc files, which I then call the resource compiler on to generate the .res files, which then get linked into a library.

I'd offer more details, but I figure that this is the sort of thing that someone might have figured out already.  Has anyone, or should I start posting what I've figure out so far?

I've read all the docs at the www.cmake.org site. If anyone else has documentation or examples,  I'd welcome that.

Rob.