[Cmake] message threads ?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Apr 1 09:44:32 EST 2003

> Why do my replies to previous postings not show up as a continuation of the
> same thread?
> I did not find a reply to posting link, so I tried sending a message with
> the same subject and sending one with "re:" + original subject.
> Both created new threads.
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Email message threads are identified by a special thread-id header line,
not subject lines.  If you compose a new message, it will get a new
thread-id regardless of the subject line.  If you reply to an existing
message, the reply keeps the same thread-id.

The convention on this list is to reply to the sender of the original
message using the "reply" button on your email client, and then make sure
the list is CCed also.  If for some reason you wish to reply only to the
list and not to the sender, use the "reply" button and then edit the "To"
address to specify the list.  This will send a message that still has the
correct thread-id.

-Brad