[Cmake] cDart anybody?

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Wed Sep 11 17:40:46 EDT 2002

Hello,

Several people complained about dart that it is difficult to setup, you
need several programs which may or may not be available etc. Though it
would be nice if both client and server would be easy to setup and use
only one language, I am mainly concerned with client.

In CMake, there is a program ctest. This program does, to my knowledge,
similar things as experimental test does in dart. It does not produce
XML, but that is a small difference. So, what ctest (or let say cDart -
CMake Dart or C++ Dart) does not do is:

1. CVS update
2. Build and parse errors and warnings
3. When testing, generate XML
4. purify
5. coverage
6. submit

1 and 3 should be fairly easy. 2 is can be done, but needs some work. 6
should be easy if you use some system FTP/SCP and would be tricky if we
implement our own stack. Since most dashboards do not do purify and
coverage, we could skip them in cDart 1.0 and implement them afterwords.

Benefits?

1. Runs everywhere CMake does.
2. Handles spaces (all C++ code)
3. Simple installation (no tcl and you already need CMake)
4. ...

So, what do people think?

				Andy