[Cmake] CMake 1.4, NMake makefile, problem with "jump over" t o build requ ired lib

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Jul 31 13:27:29 EDT 2002

At 12:57 PM 7/31/2002 -0400, Wheeler, Fred (Research) wrote:

>But can this be done when the examples and tests directories are subdirectories of the library
>directories?  Can the build proceed in this order?
>
>vtol
>vdgl
>vtol/tests
>vtol/examples
>vdgl/tests
>vdgl/examples
You would have to put the SUBDIRS in one level higher.

The CMakeLists in one directory above would look like this:
SUBDIRS(vtol vdgl vtol/tests vtol/examples vdgl/tests vdgl/examples)

That is what is done in VTK.

>I don't see how to do this other than by building once without building examples and tests and then
>by building again with them.
>
>> However, you have found a bug.   If the LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH
>> is not set,
>> the jump to build does not work.   Did this work in CMake 1.2?
>
>I'm afraid I'm not really sure whether this worked with 1.2.  I don't know if this problem was
>introduced by 1.4 or by some changes in the VXL tree.

I found the problem and it has been around for as long as the nmake generator.
The unix generator is OK, it is just borland and nmake that were broken.  The fix
is small and should make it into patch 2.

-Bill