[Cmake] Feature Request

Hans J. Johnson hjohnson at engineering.uiowa.edu
Wed Jul 31 09:52:09 EDT 2002

Hello,

I have a minor feature request for CMake.    In the hard coded paths for
the "Find*" files in share/CMake/Modules/
could a path that is prefixed with the ${CMAKE_ROOT} be added?

I call /usr/local the "System's local" and ${HOME}/local my "personal
local" directory structures.

The "Find*" files assume that the everything is installed in the Systems
local, but in my case, I do not have access to /usr/local.  I do,
however, have access to my personal local which is where I install all
of my code.  All autoconf'ed packages (i.e. fltk, and cmake itself) are
compiled with the --prefix=$(HOME)/local.  It would be nice if cmake had
the additional rule that if the desired packages are not found in
/usr/local/ or H:/usr/local that you look in ${CMAKE_ROOT} (which in my
case is my personal local directory).

I think that the use of a personal local directory is a common strategy,
and it would be a nice feature.  If you are really ambitious, you may
even want to add a ./configure flag like
--additional-find-directories="/my/very/own/install/path".

Right now I just run all the "Find*" files through sed replacing
/usr/local with ${HOME}/local, and it works quite well.

--
Regards,
Hans

Hans J. Johnson                                        305 MEB
hans-johnson at uiowa.edu                                 Dept. of Psychiatry
http://moniz.psychiatry.uiowa.edu/~hjohnson            The University of Iowa
(319) 353-5593                                         Iowa City, IA 52242