[Cmake] Borland and NMake builds

Miller, James V (CRD) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Thu Jan 24 08:39:28 EST 2002

Do the Borland and NMake builds put executables in "configuration" subdirectories? I.e. do they put
executables in a "Release" or "Debug" or "RelWithDebInfo", etc. subdirectory?

When Dart looks for tests to run, it looks in the current directory, then the subdirectories
"Release", "Debug", "MinSizeRel", and "RelWithDebInfo" (in that order).  The first directory that has
an executable with the proper name is the one that it runs.

Unfortunately, this means if you did a Release build of your project, then ran a Nightly or
Experimental using the Debug configuration, Dart would build the Debug version but run the Release
versions of the exe's as the tests. These Release exe's could be very far out of date with the
current source tree.

What I would like to do for msdev builds, it peek at the MAKE_COMMAND and decide what configuration
was built by Dart and only look for executables in the current directory and that specific
configuration subdirectory.

This will work fine for msdev builds.  But I do not know what the impact to Borland or NMake builds
may be. I'd like to remove the naive search pattern if it is not needed for the Borland and NMake
builds. If the Borland and NMake builds do put executables in configuration specific subdirectories,
what does the MAKE_COMMAND look like to specify the configuration?

Jim Miller
Visualization & Computer Vision
GE Corporate Research & Development
Bldg. KW, Room C218B
P.O. Box 8, Schenectady NY 12301

millerjv at crd.ge.com < mailto:millerjv at crd.ge.com <mailto:millerjv at crd.ge.com> >
(518) 387-4005, Dial Comm: 8*833-4005,
Cell: (518) 505-7065, Fax: (518) 387-6981