[Cmake] VTK new build was *slow* (on my computer :))

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Wed Jun 6 16:44:53 EDT 2001

Hi Bill

At 06/06/2001 15:53 -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote:
>If you remove the idb files, you would also have to remove all the obj
>files as well.

Why ?

> From what I can tell, the /FD flag causes the compiler to write the
> depends into
>the idb files DURING compilation.

I see. So if there is nothing to compile, it does not rebuild the .icb.
Seems logical.

>However, the depend information is much more complete than what was in the old
>VTK, it now includes system files as well as the vtk files.   I think this
>is the real source of the slow downs, it is checking the time on more files.

OK.

>All of the above were run with up-to-date builds, i.e. nothing was built.
>So, with the dsp/dsw stuff it adds a whooping 5 seconds to the build.

I know Bill, I've no problem admitting I was wrong about this build time,
this looks as it has nothing to do with the new method (msdev) compared to
the old one (nmake). At least on your computer :) It's just that it's a bit
annoying, and I'd like to solve the problem. If I don't, I will find a way
to output nmakefiles based on dsp files, and we will all be happy.