[Cmake] Autological Makefiles (+ VTK new build is *slow*)

Sebastien BARRE sebastien at barre.nom.fr
Tue Jun 5 11:00:52 EDT 2001

At 05/06/2001 10:42 -0400, Bill Hoffman wrote:

>The old way did store the depends in the makefile, but they were not
>always up-to-date.

What about the Unix Makefiles generated by Cmake ? Do they include
dependencies ?

>The overhead of /FD is small:

I see.

>There is one more thing that you might want to try.  MSDEV has an option
>to save makefiles from .dsp files.

I did that once, but the generated Makefile was not correct. I will try again.
For the moment, I guess I will uninstall the whole MSVC++, then perform a
fresh install and apply the SP5.

>You may be able to do this
>from the command line with the /EX option that allows you to run macros.
>You might be able to generate the makefile from the .dsp files, then add
>a rule to the msdev generated makefile that builds the makefile if the .dsp
>changes.

Good idea.

>I think that 90% or more of the VTK users will be happier using the integrated
>environment.

Sure. But it's hard to kiss Emacs goodbye. What are you using at Kitware ?
I thought you were using Emacs :) ?

>There may also be a way to turn off the class browsing feature.   That is the
>cause of the slow loads into the ide when wrapping is on.   With wrapping,
>msdev can see all the classes via the .h files.   If there is no wrapping,
>it only parses the .cxx files.

I'll look for that.