[CMake-Promote] cmake talk at Chemnitzer LinuxTage 2006

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Mon Mar 6 14:08:14 EST 2006

Hi,

last saturday I was at the Chemnitzer Linuxtage
( http://chemnitzer.linux-tage.de/2006/info/ ) , which is one of the
bigger linux events and was member of the KDE booth staff.
Independent from KDE I gave a talk
"CMake - Escape from autohell
or
Building software made easy"

but in german.
You can find the slides here (in german):
http://www.neundorf.net/cmakepresentation/index.html

The talk was well attended, the room was basically full, somewhere
between 50 and 100 people, I didn't count.
I talked something like 25 minutes and introduced basic cmake features,
then did a quick demo with cmake and kdevelop and showed the Dart pages
for fltk and cmake, including the unit tests.
The audience was very interested, among them Joerg Schilling (cdrtools,
smake, SchilliX etc.)
I asked how many people feel like understanding autotools, one of them
raised the hand, when asking how many had problems, maybe 75 percent
raised their hand.
Ok, after the talk and the demo many of the listeners had questions,
which is  good sign. They didn't find it boring or that it sucks. I was
able to answer all of them positive, with one exceptions. Two people
asked about cross-compiling, one of them being Joerg Schilling. I
answered that it is possible (I use it for cross-compiling ecos apps),
but that I never did cross compile for a linux-target, and that I can't
really answer it.
After that some of them came to our booth with more questions. Some of
the KDE developers (we weren't too many) were quite pleasantly surprised
by cmake as I showed them how it works, especially the KDevelop generator
was received very positively :-)

Bye
Alex

--
Bis zu 70% Ihrer Onlinekosten sparen: GMX SmartSurfer!
Kostenlos downloaden: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/smartsurfer