[CMake-Promote] Re: Language barrier

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Mon Jan 2 10:50:49 EST 2006

Any discussion of adding/changing the cmake language should be moved to cmake at cmake.org.
This cmake-promote should be focused on promoting cmake as it is.  There are many projects/
people happily using CMake today.  Our job on this list should be to spread the news, and
get more people on board.

Having a domain specific language is not necessarily a problem.  For many projects CMake
files are very simple, and that is because we are using a language made for this purpose.
I am not sure a new language would really fix the problems.   For most things we should
not need much language support.   The problem with needed a more powerful language
usually comes up when someone wants to do something that is not really supported in
CMake.   We should find those common cases, and add support.   The Mac Framework
stuff is a good example.   I am adding built in CMake support for Frameworks in CMake.
Once I am done, using Frameworks from CMake will be trivial.  In the past Eric had
to use a bunch of advanced cmake language to "hack" in framework support in the Find*
modules.

So, we should also use this list to identify key missing features in CMake, and if they are
not too hard to implement, we can most likely get them in CMake.

-Bill