[CMake-Promote] creating a market for CMake skills

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 20:25:39 EST 2006

"What problems will people pay money to have others solve them with CMake?"

That's a question I'd like to see answered.  I have, for instance, just
sunk about 4 months into my CMake learning curve.  I'm keeping my "Open
Sores" habit going with a job that has nothing to do with computers, let
alone CMake.  In the absence of money, I'm not sure such a business
model is viable.  Seems like I can either say, ok, time to sink the
learning curve into tools that people pay for... or else figure out how
to make people pay for CMake skills.

So I'm interested in your thoughts on that.  Particularly if you know
anyone who got paid specifically to convert a project to CMake, that
wasn't just an incidental duty or experiment as an employee.

Now granted, I think better docs are a prerequisite to being taken
seriously by a large audience.  I intend to put effort into that, ahead
of other promotional priorities.  Also we'll really need the features
and bugfixes of CMake 2.3 to advance the cause.  Nevertheless, I ask for
people's thoughts on the $$$$$ matter because I do think it is important
for growth.  Money focuses people.

If this question sounds tantamount to "How do you consult?" i.e. too
broad, possibly naive, well yes I'll admit I never made it to the
consulting stage.  Somehow over the past 8 years since I quit my job at
DEC, I learned how to do R&D and not make money at it.  :-)  Still, I
think there are probably things people want to see before someone, like
myself, starts pitching them on how their life could be better with CMake.

My instinct is that the primary target market is large Autoconf-based
projects.  That is, projects with money attached to them.  I'm thinking
"from scratch" projects are less viable, because they don't know they're
in trouble yet.  Whereas lotsa people feel Autoconf pain.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every