[cmake-developers] New no-soname-option topic for e.g. Android

Nils Gladitz nilsgladitz at gmail.com
Wed May 28 10:57:28 EDT 2014

On 28.05.2014 16:14, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 10:39:22 +0200, Nils Gladitz wrote:
>> As discussed here http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2014-May/057657.html
>> I proposed a minor modification in CMake that would allow shared library
>> targets to always be linked by -l/-L options rather than full pathname
>> on platforms which do not support SONAMEs.
>>
>> I remember there being discussions on adding support for Android as a
>> platform.
>> If anyone is still working on it this topic might already be superfluous
>> so I haven't merged it yet.
> I have some Android work at home and I remember setting up Android to
> *have* a SONAME so that things worked properly (there were weird errors
> otherwise). I'll have to look into where things broke without it, but I
> won't get a chance until Tuesday.
>
> --Ben

I assumed that because people kept removing the soname options for their
Android toolchains that SONAMEs aren't supported at all.

It however looks like they just can't have versioned names.
Perhaps ignoring the VERSION/SOVERSION properties would suffice since
the default SONAME should work which would make this topic superfluous
at least for android.
It sounds like you probably already have all of that covered.

Would this be the same in the OpenBSD case perhaps? Do they have/want
SONAMEs but don't want them versioned?
If this is the case this topic as-is can probably be removed again.

Nils