[cmake-developers] New property scope for install()ed files?

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon May 19 13:42:22 EDT 2014

On 05/16/2014 04:56 PM, Nils Gladitz wrote:
> I write the properties file at generation time rather than configuration
> time ... perhaps generator expressions could be allowed for keys?

So far generator expressions are allowed only when the content will be
evaluated on a per-configuration basis.  Since installation requires
a specific configuration to be chosen, this is well-defined.  However,
the implementation will have to take care of loading the properties
for the matching configuration at the right time.

> If they were set by install() itself there would need to be some sort of
> disambiguation in case there are multiple files being installed (like
> there already is for DESTINATION).

Yes, and the same mechanism could probably work.  We don't have to
implement it for install() now, I was just using that example as a
reason to choose the name "INSTALL" for the set/get_property commands.

We also need a name clearer than "install property" to refer to these.
Perhaps "install file property" (like current "source file property")?

FYI, some updates to code in Utilities/Sphinx will be needed so that
these properties can be documented in a location like Help/prop_inst.