[cmake-developers] patch for cmake that adds a new timestamp command

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Sep 27 09:26:44 EDT 2012

On 09/27/2012 08:59 AM, Brad King wrote:
> On 09/27/2012 08:37 AM, David Cole wrote:
>> Should we add a new command for this? Or should it be a sub-command of
>> "string(" like RANDOM is?
>
> It should be a string(TIMESTAMP) subcommand.

We haven't added any top-level commands since 2008.  At this point
there are so many projects with macros and functions out there we
probably cannot safely add any new names unless they are long or start
with "cmake_".  Subcommands are easy though.  I tend to think of the
top-level commands like "file" and "string" as namespaces.