[cmake-developers] Hacking kwsys processor detection

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Sep 10 09:01:23 EDT 2012

On 09/08/2012 12:45 PM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
> I was a bit bored and decided to hack a bit on a bug I filed long ago
> (http://cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=10895). I have attached the first 3 patches I
> came up with. I think #1 should just be applied without any further checks ;)

The copy of KWSys in VTK has had more development on this:

 http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=commitdiff;h=595216ab
 http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=commitdiff;h=32f08e67
 http://vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=commitdiff;h=72deb33e

I haven't had time to cherry-pick the changes into CMake and deal
with all the problems on platforms where CMake builds but VTK does
not (if any).  Some of the changes conflict with your patches,
probably because they do some of the same things.

> The other 2 are currently only compile tested. I think they should do no harm,
> but the main intent of this mail is: how do I easily check that this code
> works? Is there a easy point where I can grab out all the information that
> this class has about the system without adding debug statements everywhere?

There is a test for the class.  Shouldn't that print out everything?

> Also the 80-character limit is enforced for kwsys commits, but as you can see
> the file violates this itself pretty often.

KWSys was imported from CVS by robot for a long time.
There were fewer checks.