[cmake-developers] Rename Ninja generator?

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Thu Mar 8 21:25:37 EST 2012

On 3/8/2012 8:37 PM, Alan W. Irwin wrote:

> I think that would be confusing to users.
>
> Could you define an internal variable (to identify those generators
> that have Makefile-like characteristics) that could be tested instead
> of CMAKE_GENERATOR?

I suppose you could, but it would not be backwards compatible. My
concern is all the projects that already exist that have code like this:
if(CMAKE_GENERATOR MATCHES "Makefiles")

A google search of that string gives my 5600 hits...

Just trying to make as many projects work with ninja out of the box as
possible.

-Bill