[cmake-developers] code coverage with clang

Alexandru Ciobanu alex at rogue-research.com
Fri Jan 13 17:07:38 EST 2012

Hi,

We're trying to configure our nightly builds of CMake, ITK, and VTK to submit coverage reports to the official dashboard (in addition to the compilation and unit test reports that we already do).

We are building on Mac OS X and use the clang compiler.

While compilation and unit testing work as expected, there are some problems with the code coverage.

[problem 1]
When running the CMake code coverage tests, some of the .gcda files are created in the source directory instead the binary directory. Here is the git status report:
     # On branch master
     # Untracked files:
     #   (use "git add <file>..." to include in what will be committed)
     #
     #       Tests/CommandLineTest/CMakeFiles/
     #       Tests/CustomCommandWorkingDirectory/CMakeFiles/
     #       Tests/Java/CMakeFiles/

Because of this the CMake.CheckSourceTree unit test fails.

Do people on other platform experience similar problems, or it happens on Mac OS only?

[problem 2]
While test logs show what looks like valid coverage information, when the dashboard report is created, all the numbers are zero (tested lines, covered lines, etc.). Example here:
         http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewCoverage.php?buildid=1912205

Again, does anyone experience similar problems on other platforms?

sincerely,
Alex Ciobanu