[cmake-developers] Improving OpenSSL version support

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri Jan 13 09:39:06 EST 2012

On 1/12/2012 6:12 PM, Rolf Eike Beer wrote:
>> the patch level
>> can be included as a fourth component in our OPENSSL_VERSION var.
>
> Or just put the normal OpenSSL version string in there? It works for
> VERSION_LESS and friends. And since FIND_PACKAGE() handles version selection
> anyway I don't see what a user should have to do with it anyway.

Yes, I think that is reasonable.  It avoids adding the extra _STRING version
variable, right?

Another approach is to convert the patch level to a fourth integer version
component, which is not good for printing but is good for VERSION_LESS.
Then we would still need the _STRING version for printing though.

> I've pushed 2 more changes to that branch. The first one add documentation,
> the second one parses the version number only once and puts the result in a
> list and uses that elements later on. And it get's rid of some really long
> lines.

Nice, thanks.