[cmake-developers] Improving OpenSSL version support

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Thu Jan 12 15:42:34 EST 2012

Hi,

I just pushed the topic "openssl-version" to stage and would like someone to
review it. There are 2 patches in it. The first one is an obvious bugfix and
makes the version number detection work at all with OpenSSL 1.0.0! Currently
the version number shown is "1..", which is fixed by the first patch.

The second one adds an additional variable, OPENSSL_VERSION_STRING, like other
modules also have. This variable holds the complete version number, e.g.
"1.0.0f". As an additional bonus it does not parse this version from the
header file if we used pkg-config to get the library location, but falls back
to that if pkg-config was not used.

I've tested this locally for all combinations and it works for me. I would
like to hear some thought, especially about introducing the new variable. I've
not touched the old one so the module does not change behavior. If noone
objects I'll merge this into next at the weekend.

Eike