[cmake-developers] [CMake 0012870]: CMakeDetermineRCCompiler does not correctly identify GNU windres when cross-compiling

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Tue Jan 10 07:29:32 EST 2012

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
http://www.cmake.org/Bug/view.php?id=12870
Reported By:                Sam Morris
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   12870
Category:                   Modules
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   minor
Date Submitted:             2012-01-10 07:29 EST
Last Modified:              2012-01-10 07:29 EST
I'm cross compiling on Linux with CMAKE_SYSTEM_NAME set to Windows.

CmakeDetermineRCCompiler contains the following code:

GET_FILENAME_COMPONENT(_CMAKE_RC_COMPILER_NAME_WE ${CMAKE_RC_COMPILER} NAME_WE)
IF(_CMAKE_RC_COMPILER_NAME_WE STREQUAL "windres")
  SET(CMAKE_RC_OUTPUT_EXTENSION .obj)
ELSE()
  SET(CMAKE_RC_OUTPUT_EXTENSION .res)
ENDIF()

CMAKE_C_COMPILER is set to 'i686-w64-mingw32-windres', therefore the above code
goes down the wrong branch, and ends up setting CMAKE_RC_OUTPUT_EXTENSION to
'.res'.

Additional Information:
I'm actually trying to debug a separate problem: nothing is processing
Modules/Platform/Windows-windres.cmake and I don't know why. I mention this here
because I see the above code was added in the same commit that
Windows-windres.cmake was added:
<http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=b2f308c8>

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change