[cmake-developers] CheckSymbolExists is unreliable

Rolf Eike Beer eike at sf-mail.de
Sat Jan 7 06:12:13 EST 2012

Am Freitag, 6. Januar 2012, 09:56:53 schrieb Brad King:
> On 1/5/2012 8:25 AM, Brad King wrote:
> >> So I will go and fix some small typos I've found in the existing tests,
> >> repush and merge to next, so we see if Check*SymbolExists will work.
> >
> > Sounds good.
>
> The new CheckSymbolExists test works everywhere!

This has changed. It fails now for vs11-x64 on amber10 and for Linux64-
bullseye-cov on hythloth. amber10 seems to have an unrelated, general problem.
What's wrong with the bullseye I have no idea, but this goes wrong for the C++
test and some others, too.

> However the CheckCXXSymbolExist test fails:

For the bullseye (see above) and because the dummy executable fails for
Borland C++. "return errno;" doesn't work in C++ mode, I have no idea what's
that for a screwup. And especially why searching for that symbol using
CheckCXXSymbolExists works but using it doesn't.

Eike