[cmake-developers] Improving CPack Documentation (and may be others as well)

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 18:50:32 EST 2012

2012/2/1 David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com>:

> There's no rush here. We won't be reviewing your changes again until
> next Tuesday at this point...

Hi all,

I did push the work and the branch a little further yesterday.
I didn't get any big red on the dashboard this time and I think
it was worth going a little further.

It is not finished but it is already working relatively well
so I think it's worth merging.

Waiting for your feedback before going further,
The next steps for this work may be:

  0) Understand how to remove CMake leftovers from
      cpack --help-full
     (CMake properties and some CMake variables sections)
      May be some of you may be faster than for understanding that
      since CTest does not suffer from the same issue...

      At the same time it would be nice if we could create doc sections
     from "##section" markup and not burry [All] section names in the C++ code.

  1) Complete CPack variable doc
       * for variables common to all generators
       * for variable specific to each generator

  2) Set up something for cmake --help-xxxx which makes it
      possible to parse doc in user scripts and/or cmake
      provided modules and get "variables" and "command" from it.

  4) Do something with the "##module" part of the doc.

  5) Apply same principle in order to document CTest variables.

Happy review :-]
--
Erk
http://www.april.org