[cmake-developers] ninja bug

Nicolas Desprès nicolas.despres at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 10:46:45 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 4:21 PM, Bill Hoffman <bill.hoffman at kitware.com> wrote:
> On 4/19/2012 4:16 AM, Nicolas Desprès wrote:
>>
>> That's possible indeed. There are discussions whether to support all
>> compilers deps file formats inside Ninja or in another program (see
>> the deplist branch and discussion thread). The deplist branch is an
>> attempt to provide a common format to store the dependencies in a
>> fast-to-parse format.
>>
>> Currently, it is not merged yet and Ninja still relies on its own
>> parser which is probably not bug free and does not have all the
>> work-around required for all compilers versions.
>
> So, should I post this issue on the ninja list?

I think so.

> I am also wondering if we could create a cmake depend generator for ninja.
>  Then if the compiler did not support -M in a format that ninja likes, it
> could fall back to the cmake version.  It would be interesting if we could
> do it at a target level so that it would work better one windows which does
> not handle lots of small .d files.  (CMake gave up on a .d file per file
> because of this problem on windows).

There are several people trying to deals with .d files on Windows and
to optimize their processing. Some have tried to group them and zip
them. I think your experience would help them. Parsing deps files is
one of the major bottle neck of Ninja optimization since it does that
at start up time which is exactly the purpose of ninja vs make. The
fall-back idea sounds great too.

Cheers,

--
Nicolas Desprès