[cmake-developers] [CMake 0013110]: add_jar does not allow wildcards for java files on win32

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Sat Apr 7 13:27:45 EDT 2012

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                sradomski
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   13110
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   feature
Date Submitted:             2012-04-07 13:27 EDT
On unix platforms (MacOSX, Linux), add_jar(TARGET_NAME SRC1 SRC2 .. SRCN) allows
for SRC1 to be a wildcard (e.g. ${SOME_PATH}/*.java). While I am not sure that
this is supported behaviour, it is *really* useful, when the set of java files
is not known at configuration time. In my case, I am using SWIG to generate
.java wrapper files from the source tree. On unices I can just have a line:

	ADD_JAR(targetname ${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/${UMUNDO_JAVA_DIR}/*.java)

and CMake will do the right thing. On Win32 with Visual Studio 10, this fails
with an error MSB6001: "Invalid command line switch for "cmd.exe". Illegal
characters in path" and a plethora of warnings in "Microsoft.CppCommon.targets".

Seeing that SWIG is supported in CMake, wildcards with add_jar on the win32
platform would be a really useful feature to complement this.

Steps to Reproduce:
ADD_JAR(targetname ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/*.java)
vs.
ADD_JAR(targetname ${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/Test.java)

with a minimal Test.java file in the project's source directory.

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change