[cmake-developers] slow regex implementation in RegularExpression

Bill Hoffman bill.hoffman at kitware.com
Wed Nov 23 14:03:20 EST 2011

On 11/23/2011 12:51 PM, Brad King wrote:
> On 11/23/2011 12:48 PM, Brad King wrote:
>>
>>   "To include a literal ] in the list, make it either the first item"
>
> It must be the "[:" in this regex that TRE sees as special since it
> allows expressions like "[:digit:]" inside a bracket expression.
>
> Still, this is a case that my proposed policy would pick up.
>
> -Brad

I am still very wary about this policy.  For 99% of folks the current
regex is just fine.  Making them "eventually" change to get the new
regex is making them do work that they don't need or want.  I would
rather have two API's.   I just don't see the big upside of TRE, and I
see this causing pain for lots and lots of folks if we push them to make
the change.  CMake has most likely 100,000 or more users at this point.
  A change like this could easily inflict a man years of effort onto the
world, and should not be taken lightly.

-Bill