[cmake-developers] [CMake 0012579]: Improve project generator for eclipse to handle multiple top level directories

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Mon Nov 14 18:36:30 EST 2011

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Dan Kegel
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   12579
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   feature
Date Submitted:             2011-11-14 18:36 EST
Last Modified:              2011-11-14 18:36 EST
See discussion at
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2011-November/047435.html

If CMakeLists.txt points to a distant directory, e.g.
  add_subdirectory(../foo foo)
the projects generated by the existing cdt generator have two problems:
1) even if -DECLIPSE_CDT4_GENERATE_SOURCE_PROJECT=TRUE is given, the ../foo
directory is not exposed as a project in the gui
2) eclipse does not trigger a build when source files in directory ../foo
are changed.

The first problem can be solved by adding a dummy project in ../foo
just as is done in the primary source directory (though, please, use
a better name, like [_foo])

The second problem requires adding a <link> item in the main .project,
pointing to the foo directory.

I do those two things in a shell script after running cmake, but that
means I have to re-run my shell script by hand after every change
to any CMakeLists.txt, and it'd be nicer to have cmake's cdt generator
do it for me.

Steps to Reproduce:
See example at
http://code.google.com/p/winezeug/source/browse/trunk/cmake_examples/ex7/