[cmake-developers] Copyright.txt out of date.

Stephen Kelly steveire at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 08:21:45 EST 2011

Brad King wrote:

> On 11/10/2011 7:47 AM, Stephen Kelly wrote:
>> I'm copying Qt4Macros.cmake into Qt and in copying the content of
>> Copyright.txt that it contains:
>>
>>      Copyright 2000-2009 Kitware, Inc., Insight Software Consortium
>>      All rights reserved.
>>
>> Shouldn't this be updated to 2011?
>
> Thanks:
>
>    http://cmake.org/gitweb?p=cmake.git;a=commitdiff;h=ac39e9c7

Thanks.

> However, you should look at the header used in other Modules.  The
> copyright of contributed modules is retained by the original authors.
> Also make sure the ModuleNotices test passes for you.

I'm not sure what you mean. You mean I should look at the history of the
macros and guess updates to the copyright header? And I should submit that
as a patch to CMake?

I can see who the authors were, but I can't know if the author was working
under the employment of Kitware at the time or any other company who owns
the copyright of work done on work time (author != copyright holder). I'll
make sure to copy the correct copyright attribution notices if
Qt4Macros.cmake is changed, but I don't think I should be the one to add
copyright notices for other people. Currently the file has 'Copyright
2005-2009 Kitware, Inc.' at the top.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks,

Steve.