[cmake-developers] Can't push to master directly

Eric Noulard eric.noulard at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 18:16:43 EDT 2011

2011/11/4 Rolf Eike Beer <eike at sf-mail.de>:
> Am Freitag, 4. November 2011, 17:43:38 schrieb David Cole:
>> That wiki page says "Authorized developers" may push directly to the
>> official repository. But that is not all CMake developers... that is
>> Brad and I after we review your changes in next, pushed via the topic
>> stage.
>>
>> Our workflow all goes through the topic stage. There should be no
>> reason for you to push directly to cmake.git anyhow. All your pushes
>> should be able to go to the stage, and then merged via a stage merge
>> command...
>
> I've also read through this page. But what the hell is "stage"? Do you mean
> next?

Nope stage.
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake/Git#Topic_Stage

The workflow I use is the following, assume you have cloned master.

you then

$ git checkout -b MyFavoriteTopic
... work on it,
... modify/checkin/modiy/checkin
publish to stage for review
$ git push stage HEAD

(you may do this several time until everybody is ok with it
 or may be if you alone is autonomous on the topic [and its possible
side-effects])

then you ask to merge your staged topic to next:
$ ssh git at cmake.org stage cmake merge -b next MyFavoriteTopic

then monitor the dashboard for red-lights.

In their weekly review (usually on tuesday) Brad, Dave etc...
decide what should be taken from next to master.

so in the end you never need to push to master nor next directly.
You simply can't do it for master and you should go through stage
in order to merge to next.

I think the scheme is flexible enough and safe for every stakeholder,
at least I'm pleased with it.

--
Erk
http://www.april.org