[cmake-developers] slow regex implementation in RegularExpression

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Nov 16 13:33:49 EST 2011

On 11/16/2011 12:44 PM, Alexandru Ciobanu wrote:
> For each library the steps are:
> - regcomp() the regular expression
> - regexec() the expression on the string

Can you time each of these steps separately for each library?  I would not
be surprised if the compilation time is the bottleneck.  The evaluation and
matching of a given string just followed a DFA which should be pretty fast.
If it turns out that compilation is the bottleneck then we should refactor
things to make sure CTest compiles each regex at most once so we can re-use
the same DFA every time.