[cmake-developers] [Ninja] Start to work on a generator

Nicolas Desprès nicolas.despres at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 09:47:55 EDT 2011

Hello everyone,

This weekend I started to work on a new generator for Ninja.  I did
not know the internal architecture of CMake so I spent most of my time
understanding how it works. I have the very little beginning of
something in a local topic branch. It is not able to bootstrap a
simple helloworld project yet. I have attached a git log and a git log
-p of what I have done so far. Not so much but I will work on it more
next weekend.

Also, I have few questions about CMake internal architecture. I don't
really understand how global and local generator work together? Where
should I put my code? in the global or in the local one? I have taken
most of the inspiration from the UnixMakefile generator but the Ninja
generator has on major difference: Ninja is not design to work in a
recursive form. I did some experiment and all the automatic step
counting of Ninja does not make sense in a recursive approach. So, I
think I should put all my code only in the global generator and
generate only one build.ninja file per project.

Any help is welcome.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Desprès