[cmake-developers] [CMake 0011627]: Wrong target-architecture flags for stock version of gfortran on OS X

Mantis Bug Tracker mantis at public.kitware.com
Sat Dec 18 10:57:42 EST 2010

The following issue has been SUBMITTED.
Reported By:                Christian Convey
Assigned To:
Project:                    CMake
Issue ID:                   11627
Category:                   CMake
Reproducibility:            always
Severity:                   block
Date Submitted:             2010-12-18 10:57 EST
Last Modified:              2010-12-18 10:57 EST
I set CMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES to "x86_64", because I want to produce a 64-bit
executable.

When I do this, gfortran ends up being invoked with "-arch x86_64", which isn't
valid for the compiler.

There are some OS X fortran compilers for which "-arch" *is* appropriate.
Apparently Apple used to maintain a port of gfortran for which that flag was
valid, but they seem to not do that any longer.  "-arch" is also valid for the
Intel fortran compiler on OS X.

The problem is that the stock GCC fortran compiler does not support "-arch".

Here's what a gfortran developer told me: "The GCC option for specifying an
architecture is of the form '-march=XYZ' where you can a complete list of XYZ in
the GCC manual.  http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.5.1/gcc/ "

Issue History
Date Modified    Username       Field                    Change