[cmake-developers] First shot at the XML generator online

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Oct 4 13:44:07 EDT 2006

Matt Rogers wrote:
> I've posted a first version of the CMake XML generator on my website at
> http://matt.rogers.name/cmake and would appreciate some review on the current
> version of the code. I don't think that it's quite ready to be committed to
> CVS yet, since there are some other things that I'd like to add to it (such
> as listing of source files that will be installed during the make install
> phase).

Thanks for working on this, Matt.  So far it looks like a good start.
Here are a few initial comments:

1.) It looks like the XML is pretty generic and not tied to Makefiles.
Instead of attaching it to the Makefile generator it could be an option
on all generators.  This amounts to just a different entry point to your
code.

2.) Let's add a version number to the top-level element attributes.
Actually let's change the top-level element to <cmake> or <CMakeProject>
or something like that.  Even if for now it has only a single nested
<project> element that leaves room for changing it later.

3.) For the <source> element I suggest the syntax

  <source name="foo.c"></source>

That way we can add nested element later with per-source properties.  It
is also more consistent with the target element.

4.) It looks like there is an indentation problem with nested <folder>
elements.