[cmake-developers] cmake issues and KDE

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Tue Aug 8 10:02:58 EDT 2006

Hello,

I read through those and here are my comments:

** CMake does not know the concept of subprojects

*I think argument he is using is bad, but overall this one would be
awesome for developers. Maybe having a way to compartmentalize sections
of the code. For example in Slicer3, we have VTK, ITK, KWWidgets,
Modules, etc. It would be really cool if we could designate parts as
independent modules and not do dependency checking when running special
targets. For example:

make all/VTK
make all/KWWidgets

So, make all/Project or something similar would only build that project.

** make install does not start an install until compiling finishes

*The make install thing is there. Just set the appropriate variable
(CMAKE_SKIP_INSTALL_ALL_DEPENDENCY).

** editing CMakeFiles.txt forces an entire rebuild*

Not sure about this one. I do know that you can mess-up cmake file so
that it will always change something.

** make install should not install files that have not changed

*I thought we did this, but looks like we do not. Should be really easy
to add.

** The interface to cmake is not user friendly enough

*Brad and I talked about this one and it would not be hard to implement.
Especially with some of the new command argument parsing feature. I may
look at this one once I convert command line argument parsing of CMake.

Anyway, good comments. Don't like the unsercmake idea... Whatever it
does, we should do on the CMake level.

          Andy