[CDash] testing_junit XML handler questions

Bukuli Norbert bukuli.norbert at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 12:16:13 UTC 2024

Hi All,

TL;DR:
I would like to monitor the passing, failing and skipped test cases of our
project in CDash, not just the overall result of each test executable. Is
`testing_junit` XML handler the right tool for that, if my test executables
are able to emit junit XML files?

A bit more detailed explanation:
Firstly, the following explanations are targeting cdash-3.2.3. I am stuck
with the installation process of cdash-3.3.0. If there are developments in
this area, please let me know.

The `testing_junit` XML handler (
https://github.com/Kitware/CDash/blob/master/app/cdash/xml_handlers/testing_junit_handler.php)
seems to address my needs, but it is not clearly documented, whether it is
the right tool or not. I have managed to figure out from the CDash and
ctest source code, that `ctest_submit(CDASH_UPLOAD "test_output_junit.xml"
  CDASH_UPLOAD_TYPE "testing_junit")` might do the right thing, but the
CDash side unfortunately throws some exceptions during the process of the
submission.

After tweaking slightly the code of CDash, the processing of XML files ran
into this area:
https://github.com/Kitware/CDash/blob/master/app/cdash/xml_handlers/testing_junit_handler.php#L73-L97
what made me wonder:
* Is that the right tool to monitor test cases through the junit XML files
emitted by gtest, or...
* Is that to process junit output generated by ctest
* If the first one, what is the XML schema that could be processed
* Can I (or ctest) easily inject site related information into the junit
XMLs generated by gtest, because it is required during the process. Or...
* Shall I encapsulate the junit XML-s generated by gtest into another XML
similarly to Update.xml, Build.xml, Test.xml (generated by ctest), and so on
* Is the testing_junit_handler.php maintained?
* Can I do the per test case monitoring with CDash? (gtest_discover_tests
is not an option here, because it slows down the testing
process significantly (around 5 times as slow)

Any guidance is highly appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Best regards
Norbert