[CDash] GitHub Status API support

Zack Galbreath zack.galbreath at kitware.com
Wed Feb 20 19:42:17 UTC 2019

On Wed, Feb 20, 2019 at 2:00 PM Cristian Morales Vega <
christian.morales.vega at gmail.com> wrote:

> Zack, what are your plans on this? Maybe it's already implemented but
> not documented?

We are really, really close :)

First up, here's a blog post describing CDash's current integration with
GitHub:
https://blog.kitware.com/cdash-integration-with-github/

This works by commenting on your pull request whenever something goes wrong
(build error, test failure, etc). But as you indicated, rather than
commenting on a PR, it would be better to have CDash post a status to the
commit on GitHub with a link back to itself. The biggest barrier to this
goal was the fact that CDash didn't actually ever know when a build was
done. So we could only ever post bad news (this is what went wrong), not
good news (everything passed, hurray). There was no mechanism in place for
CTest to say "Okay CDash, that's the last file I'm going to send you for
this build". CTest and CDash finally gained this capability
<https://cmake.org/cmake/help/latest/release/3.14.html#ctest> as of CMake
v3.14 (currently in the release candidate cycle).

So now that CDash can actually know when a build is done, we need to teach
CDash to use GitHub's status API. This is implemented in CDash PR #748
<https://github.com/Kitware/CDash/pull/748>. I've already reviewed these
changes and they look good to me. I still need to find the time to test it
out & make sure the GitHub status gets updated as expected. Once I do that
I'll merge this change into CDash, and our goal of linking back to CDash
from the commit status on GitHub will finally be achieved.