[CDash] Using the Docker images is problematic

Cristian Morales Vega christian.morales.vega at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 14:20:25 UTC 2019

That did work great, thanks.

But so https://github.com/Kitware/cdash-docker is basically an
outdated version of what's already in
https://github.com/Kitware/CDash? Maybe it should be destroyed? It
sent me through the wrong path.
My problem with the images from Docker Hub was just that I didn't know
I had to run "docker-compose run --rm cdash install configure"...
because https://github.com/Kitware/cdash-docker/blob/master/README.md
doesn't explain it.
Also, the first place a new user trying to try CDash is going to find
is https://public.kitware.com/Wiki/CDash:Installation, which doesn't
mention docker at all.

One small issue I noticed is that when I deleted all my Docker
images/containers and run "docker-compose up -d" as told at the top of
https://github.com/Kitware/CDash/blob/master/docker.md#how-to-guide it
did not "download a prebuilt image from DockerHub", it did build it
(without using --build). When doing "docker pull kitware/cdash" before
"docker-compose up -d" then it did use the image from Docker Hub. In
any case it did built just fine without needing to change anything.
I had never used docker-compose before, not sure why it didn't
download the image when using docker-compose, it can easily be a
problem with my system.