[CDash] Upgrading from 2.0.2 to 2.4.0

Zack Galbreath zack.galbreath at kitware.com
Mon Jul 10 17:37:09 UTC 2017

Hey Francois,

On Sun, Jul 9, 2017 at 12:54 AM, François Bertel <fbopensource at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I see that composer.phar is already part of the archive, I assume that I
> don't
> have to apply step 5 of the upgrade, correct?
>
> https://public.kitware.com/Wiki/CDash:Upgrade#Upgrading_CDash
>
> "step 5: Download composer (if you haven't already) and run php
> composer.phar install --no-dev --optimize-autoloader."
>
> Same question for step 6 (npm install) and 7 (gulp). Are they just here
> for people using git instead or are they mandatory when using the zip
> archive as well?
>
> If I need to follow step 6, where do I run "npm install" from? Is is from
> ~/install/cdash/cdash-2.4.0/CDash for me?
>
> (Note that I installed the Ubuntu packages for composer and npm, the
> composer package does not provide a composer.phar but /usr/bin/composer
> instead).

I just unpacked CDash-2-4-0.zip to refresh my memory.  Long story short, if
you are using a release (or the "prebuilt" git branch) you do not have to
run composer, npm, or gulp.

To clarify, let me briefly explain what these tools are used for.  Composer
downloads PHP dependencies.  Its output lives in the "vendor" subdirectory.
 npm downloads Javascript dependencies.  It places its output in
node_modules.  gulp is essentially a build step that squashes together all
of our .js files and performs some cache busting.  It generates
public/js/CDash*.js and public/build/.

All of these contents are already present in the release zip, so you don't
have to generate them yourself.

> Last question, where do I setup the symlink to public and do I have to do
> it?

The motivating concept here is that you only want to expose the "public"
subdirectory to the web.

To help you answer my question, here are some details about my current
> 2.0.2 setup:
>
> The 2.0.2 is extracted here:
> ~/install/cdash/CDash-2-0-2 where I have a custom config file in
> ./cdash/config.local.php
>
> Therefore I will copy my config.local.php to ~/install/cdash/cdash-2.4.0/CDash/config/
> , right?

That sounds right to me.  In general, I recommend that config.local.php
contains only the lines that have been changed from the default, rather
than a full copy/paste of config.php.  But this is mostly an issue of
housekeeping / tidiness.

> My /var/www looks like this:
> drwxr-xr-x  4 root     root      152 Apr 27  2014 ./
> drwxr-xr-x 16 root     root      432 Apr 21  2016 ../
> drwx------ 17 www-data www-data 4912 Apr 26  2016 CDash/
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root     root       48 Apr  3  2014 html/
> -rw-r--r--  1 root     root      177 Oct 19  2013 index.html
> -rw-------  1 www-data www-data   20 Mar  2  2012 test.php
>
> In /etc/apache2/,
>
> ./sites-enabled/default-ssl.conf and ./sites-enabled/000-default.conf
> are symlink to files in ./sites.available both having DocumentRoot pointing
> to /var/www
>
> ./conf-enabled/cdash.conf is a symlink to ./conf-available/cdash.conf
> which is just:
> <Directory /home/fbertel/install/cdash/CDash-2-0-2/>
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> Therefore, I will change it to:
> <Directory /home/fbertel/install/cdash/cdash-2.4.0/CDash/>
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from all
> </Directory>
>
> right? Or is it where I should use "public" instead with the following
> statement
> (and not use a symlink) ?
>
> <Directory /home/fbertel/install/cdash/cdash-2.4.0/CDash/public/>
>    Order allow,deny
>    Allow from all
> </Directory>

Unless I'm missing something, these <Directory> elements are only defining
permissions, ie whether or not people are allowed to view the files in
these directories.

Since your DocumentRoot is /var/www, I recommend making a symbolic link
(/var/www/CDash or so) to /home/fbertel/install/cdash/
cdash-2.4.0/CDash/public.

Please let us know if you need any more help getting this set up correctly.