[CDash] [EXTERNAL] Re: uploading commit info to cdash dashboard

Foucar, James G jgfouca at sandia.gov
Wed Sep 28 16:54:36 UTC 2016

Thanks, that sounds like a good change.

From: Zack Galbreath <zack.galbreath at kitware.com>
Date: Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 7:19 AM
To: David Cole <DLRdave at aol.com>
Cc: "Foucar, James G" <jgfouca at sandia.gov>, "cdash at public.kitware.com" <cdash at public.kitware.com>
Subject: Re: [CDash] [EXTERNAL] Re: uploading commit info to cdash dashboard

On Sep 27, 2016, at 6:12 PM, Foucar, James G <jgfouca at sandia.gov<mailto:jgfouca at sandia.gov>> wrote:
I'd really like to post the sha1 of the commit that was tested for an individual cdash build. I'd like to display it prominently once the build is clicked. For example, if you look here
http://my.cdash.org/buildSummary.php?buildid=1056548

You'll see a number of fields that are not particularly useful to us like OS Name and OS Version. I'd like to replace or hijack one of those fields to instead display the commit id that was tested. How might I go about doing this?

Hi Jim,

This is a good idea, but I'm not sure of a way you could affect this change as a user of CDash.

This isn't quite as good, but you could link to a specific commit in your online repository viewer from your build (assuming such a thing exists).  To do this, create a file ending in .url whose contents is the URL that you'd like to associate with your build.  Then in your CTest driver script, do:

ctest_upload(FILES "/path/to/my.url")

...before calling ctest_submit().
You can see an example of this in action here:
https://open.cdash.org/index.php?project=CDash&date=2016-09-28
click on the yellow brick Icon for the "link_to_github" build.

Generally speaking, the information you seek is already in the CDash database (buildupdate.revision).  So it shouldn't be too much work to expose this value on buildSummary.php.  I'll look further into this when I get some time.

In the not too distant future, I plan on replacing the "Update" column on index.php with a "Version" column when possible (any revision control system more modern than CVS).  The idea being that seeing the version of the code that was built is more useful than seeing how many files changed.