[Cdash] How to add more information in "view notes"

Zack Galbreath zack.galbreath at kitware.com
Tue Sep 2 12:04:43 UTC 2014

On Sun, Aug 31, 2014 at 8:01 PM, Kevin C. Tjoe <k.tjoe at acfr.usyd.edu.au>
wrote:

> Hi Zack,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
> I am not fully understand so i would like to ask some further questions.
>
> - So, instead of "attaching" the note file itself (lets say mynote.txt
> that contains "this is my note"), we use this "set(CTEST_NOTES_FILES ...."
> to "attach" a script?
> - The script then will be run, to generate a note (by injecting a new
> record to the database)?
> - What type of script file it can use (bash? python?)
> - Do you have an example of the script file (the script code) ? i tried to
> google for an example,but unfortunately could not find any
>
> Sorry if too much asking, not familiar with this feature yet...

The note file is uploaded as plain text.  In your example, you would simply
do

set(CTEST_NOTES_FILES "/my/path/to/mynote.txt")

And then the contents of mynote.txt will be added to this build as a note.

Even if you upload a script using this feature it will still be treated as
plain text.  No need to worry about bash vs. python vs. ctest scripting, as
neither CTest or CDash will make an effort to execute your note file.

HTH,
-Zack