[Cdash] Report of failed time status

Olivier Pierard olivier.pierard at cenaero.be
Fri Jul 1 08:14:30 UTC 2011

Thanks for these precisions Julien.

But... I still need some precisions.

1°) Why not considering CPU times instead of Wall-clock times ?  Is it
really difficult to implement (maybe more related to CTest than CDash) ?

2°) Let's consider we have a 'Test time # max failures before flag =
3'.  On the third day with higher test times, are the two first ones
with test time failures considered in the average ?  I hope not because
with a coefficient of 0.3 in the average, times before three days ago
are almost negligible.  I already noticed that test failures not due to
time are not taken into account into the average.

3°)  From documentation on vtk website:

A test is defined as failing if it verifies the following: if previousSD
< thresholdSD then previousSD = thresholdSD.

 if  currentTime > previousMean+multiplier*previousSD.

In my case, with following parameters:
Test time SD (coefficient): 4.0
Test time SD threshold : 1
Test time # max failure before flag : 1

And for a given test (reported on CDash - testcase report - exucution
time(s) line):
- mean:31.29
- std:2.72
- Execution time : 36.26

=> previous SD > threshold => threshold not taken into account
=> previous mean + multiplier*previous SD = 31.29 + 4*2.72 = 42.17 > 36.26

==> Test time should be OK but is reported as failed and flagged on main
CDash page !??
Maybe reported mean and std  are not the previous ones but current
ones.  If I go on the previous report, it's reported mean 29.16 -
std:0.0.  Maybe this previous 0.0 is used.  But clearly on test times
graph, there is a standard deviation (oscillates between 29 and 41
during last month).

4°) html link in project configuration in testing tab - in description
of 'test standard deviation' and 'test standard deviation threshold',
link to test timing description on the WIKI is wrong; maybe due to the
fact that I'm using CDash 1.6.2

Thank you for these additional precisions.

Olivier