[Cdash] Suggestions for experimental builds

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 14:02:13 UTC 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 9:56 AM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 9:28 AM, David Doria <daviddoria at gmail.com> wrote:
> > 1) Is it possible to check if the build name is localhost.localdomain and
> > prompt the user for a better name when ctest -D Experimental is run and
> they
> > haven't specified the build name in a file?
>
> What is your suggestion for a better name? We should just use a better
> "default name generating algorithm" if our default names are currently
> "worse" than ideal...
>
> It is trivially easy to override the values used for SITE and
> BUILDNAME if you want to:
>
>  cmake -DSITE:STRING=sitename -DBUILDNAME:STRING=buildname .
>  ctest -D Experimental

Maybe add these instructions in the output?

[doriad at localhost ITK]$ ctest -D Experimental
   Site: localhost.localdomain
   Build name: Linux-c++
(use "cmake -DSITE:STRING=sitename -DBUILDNAME:STRING=buildname" to change)

or mention the file which contains the settings:

(edit "filename.ext" to change)

The problem is that instructions on ITK, etc simply say to run

ctest -D Experimental

and don't have any mention of how to configure it.

David