[Cdash] ITK appears in GDCM cdash

Amitha Perera amitha.perera at kitware.com
Thu Sep 3 15:31:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 9:41 AM, David Cole<david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> Julien's not only worried about the speed of the SQL query. He's also (and
> probably more) worried about the speed of computing the hash on large input
> data (test output ranges from a few bytes up to several megabytes depending
> on the test...)

If computation speed is an issue, and the goal is to simply check if
the test has been previously submitted, I'd suggest that a
hierarchical scheme should be used with lazy hash computation, instead
of relying on a hash as the one-and-only solution. Something like

For each incoming submission I
   Cand = select * from DB where date=I.date and project=I.project and
(other such simple things)
   I.hash=NULL;
   if Cand is not empty
     I.hash = hash(I);
     for each C in Cand
        if C.hash is null
            C.hash = hash(C);
            store C.hash in DB;
        end if
        if C.hash == I.hash
           ignore I and jump to next submission
        end if
     end for
   end if
   insert I into DB;
end for

I suspect that hashes would not need to be computed very often.
(Unless it's common place for the same test to be submitted multiple
times?)

Anyway, Eric's suggestion of a different, faster to compute hash is
also a good one.

Amitha.