[CastXML] CastXML Windows Installation

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Wed Sep 30 10:50:22 EDT 2015

On 09/30/2015 10:36 AM, Uğur Büyükdurak wrote:
> I would like to know whether it is possible or not to build and use castxml
> on windows machines.

Yes.

> I would also like to know whether it is compatible with pygccxml or not.

See here for pygccxml status with regard to castxml:

 https://github.com/gccxml/pygccxml/issues/19

> It is also mentioned that a C++ compiler supporting c++11 syntax and
> clang/llvm compiler(SDK install tree built) are needed which I don't
> understand why installing process needs two different compilers at
> the same time. So basically why does castxml need clang and why does
> it need another C++ compiler.

CastXML needs the LLVM/Clang SDK in order to build.  While gccxml came
with its own patched copy of GCC, CastXML builds directly against an
externally-built LLVM/Clang.  Since Clang is implemented in C++11,
CastXML is also implemented in C++11.  Therefore one needs a C++11
capable compiler to build both of them.  The Clang compiler is not
executed or used to compile anything but it must be built to get its
SDK.

Once CastXML is built and installed then it works independently
from the original LLVM/Clang SDK installation.

> And one thing I forgot to ask, does castxml support C++11 specification?

CastXML does support parsing C++11 code but only the C++98 subset
of the interfaces will be included in the output (no APIs with
rvalue references for example).  One can pass -std=c++11 to castxml.

-Brad