[cable] Have you seen boost::python?

Arlo Belshee arlo at arlim.org
Mon Dec 8 14:02:59 EST 2003

Hi all.

I'm not on the list, and haven't read the history, so my aplogies if you've
seen this comment before.

I was looking through the Cable site, and noticed that you want an
implementation for Python wrappers. I got to Cable from the boost python
library, which uses gccxml in its implementation. Thus, it seemed odd that you
are apparently not aware of it (or so sayeth your website).

Boost python (http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/index.html) is a library
for auto-generation of class and function wrappers between C++ and Python. It
supports bi-directional wrapping, and handles pretty much everything
(including, for example, cross-language virtual function calls between
cross-language inherited classes). It is complete, robust, well-tested, and
open source. I'm not a contributor to it, but have been using it for some
time, with great results.

I reccommend that you check boost::python (and the rest of the boost libs)
out. If nothing else, you could link to it from your site, and add another
supported target language to Cable.

Thanks for your time.

Arlo