[VTK ARB] Planning the next ARB meeting

Claudio T. Silva csilva at sci.utah.edu
Sat Jun 26 19:48:06 EDT 2010

Hi,

We currently have some issues with the new VTK wrapping as it related
to VisTrails. Here is the problem. VTK usually provides method
signatures for both Python and C++ function through Python's
docstring. For example, in Python, with the old VTK, if one does:

>> help(vtk.vtkProperty.GetColor)

it returns:
====
GetColor(...)
   V.GetColor() -> (float, float, float)
   C++: double *GetColor ();
   V.GetColor((float, float, float))
   C++: void GetColor (double rgb[3]);

   Set the color of the object. Has the side effect of setting the
   ambient diffuse and specular colors as well. This is basically
   a quick overall color setting method.
====
the "C++:" is the C++ signature while the V.* things are Python's
signature. VisTrails use this to wrap Module's methods.

However, in the new VTK, when doing the same help command we get
====
GetColor(...)
   double *GetColor()
   void GetColor(double rgb[3])

====

So it looks like users have to convert C++ signature to Python
signature in order to use it. However, when VTK doing conversion, they
have internal information, and we do not. For the case above, the
correspond Python signature for
double *GetColor()
is
V.GetColor() -> (float, float, float)

Note the 3-value returns. If we manually convert from C++, we don't
know how many value for the tuple. I guess VTK knows this from the
SetColor function. I am not sure why they drop Python signature (or
just not done yet with the new wrapping mechanism), but if they put
back this feature from the old code, it should be much better for
other systems like us to wrap VTK.

Is this functionality going to be added back?

Thanks,

Claudio.