[VTK ARB] vtk edge?

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Mon Feb 1 19:43:51 EST 2010

Brian-

We are in the process of moving most everything in VTK Edge in to VTK
proper. We are abandoning the dual-license strategy. I can get into the
details, but basically 1) it didn't work from a business/financial
perspective, 2) it annoyed our customers, 3) it confused everyone, 4) we are
committed to becoming a services, workflow integration, collaborative
research, and solutions company, the dual license situation makes this
harder.

I say we are in the "process" of doing so because of course it costs time
and money to make it so. We just recently moved the GPU ray caster into VTK
(paid for by Ron Kikinis at Brigham). We think we have the money to move the
some of the paintbrush/widget stuff into VTK (I am working on this with some
of our medical allies). As we find the funding and time we will move other
classes over.

Will

On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM, Wylie, Brian <bnwylie at sandia.gov> wrote:

> Not a bit deal, but any thoughts about perhaps just plunking vtkEdge into
> VTK proper (with appropriate relicensing)?
>
> There's some functionality in it that would be nice to have in ParaView or
> VTK...
>
>  Brian Wylie - Org 1424
>  Sandia National Laboratories
>  MS 1323 - Building CSRI/242